Windy Cove Presbyterian Church

A Brief History of Windy Cove Presbyterian Church

Windy Cove Presbyterian Church was established in 1749. The founding of the church corresponded to the general migration of settlers westward from the Shenandoah Valley into the mountains. These early settlers were determined and devout. They brought with them a hearty spirit to settle the mountain land and to worship God.

The earliest meeting place was a log structure located two miles south of Millboro Springs just off Route 42. This marker commemorates the sight. As time passed the church meeting was moved to its present sight and a series of log buildings housed the worship of the growing congregation. Under the leadership of Pastor Samuel Brown and elder Samuel Crawford, the current sanctuary was constructed in l838 of bricks made on the site. This facility has served the congregation well throughout the years. Its most recent remodeling was completed in l985. Over the years substantial additions were completed in 1917, 1948, 1959, and 1984. Our present church building includes our sanctuary, a fellowship hall, six Sunday school rooms, two nursery rooms, a kitchen, storage, and bathroom facilities.

After the church was flooded in 1985 and 1997, the congregation voted in 2000 to build a new building four miles east of the present site. Preliminary work on the site began in August 2003. The new Windy Cove building will be on higher ground! The old building will be preserved and lovingly maintained.